Social media has changed the way businesses advertise and market to their target audiences. Businesses now have a powerful new digital marketing resource at their disposal, and it’s changing the way they reach out to potential customers.
With over 2 billion monthly users, social media sites are an effective way to expand your business’s target market and build awareness of your brand. Now, more than ever before, people are turning to social media as a source of information on their own interests, interests, and activities.
It makes sense then that so many people now use it as their go-to resource for finding information about anything from new products to new restaurants or local events. To reach these highly-targeted users, businesses must adapt their marketing strategies accordingly.
What is social media marketing?
Social media marketing is essentially the process of using social media platforms to build your brand and promote your products and services to your target audience. Social media channels are an important part of any marketing strategy, but they’re not the only ones.
Social media channels provide different resources and tools that cater to different audiences. Facebook is primarily a publishing medium, while Twitter is more of a conversational medium. LinkedIn can be used for both publishing and conversations, and Instagram is mostly a visual medium.
Putting the right strategy in place can help you reach the right audience, engage with them, and generate leads or sales. Social media can be an effective tool for increasing brand awareness, building your brand’s connection to your target audience, and increasing leads from your current customers and leads from people who are interested in your product but don’t know about it yet.
Why is social media important for business brand building?
Social media has proven to be a tremendous resource for both businesses and individual consumers. Because so many people are now using social media platforms, these networks have become an essential source of information. People turn to social media to discover information about products and services they might be interested in, as well as information they can use to meet their own needs. Businesses can use this channel to get their information in front of these consumers, whether it’s to share a new product or offer a freebie sample. Social media also provides a platform for businesses to connect with consumers and build their brands.
The benefits of social media marketing for your business
- Brand exposure – By promoting your brand across social media channels, you’re letting the world know what your business is all about.
- Lead generation – Social media channels are excellent for generating leads from your target audience. Using various strategies and tactics, you may be able to generate a significant number of social media “likes” and followers.
- Social proof – Social proof is the concept that people will probably trust an online recommendation more if they see that other people trust that source as well. For example, if your business is mentioned on Yelp, consumers may trust that review more because they know that other people have also recommended your business.
- Increased customer engagement – By interacting with your customers on social media, you can create a deeper relationship with them and build trust. This can help you to achieve your sales and revenue goals sooner, because your customers are more likely to become loyal customers. – Opportunity for brand exposure
- Another reason for using social media for your brand building efforts is to build your brand’s “imprint” on social media channels. This can help you to establish your brand in the consumer’s mind as the go-to source for the topic.
How to use social media for your business
- Research first – Before starting any social media strategy, you’ll want to research the different channels available and the audiences you can reach. Start with a thorough market research to ensure you choose the right channels to target your audience.
- Choose the right channel – Once you have a better idea of your audience, you can start choosing which channel to focus your efforts on. When choosing your channel, keep in mind the demographics of your audience and the resources they’re using.
- Content creation – As with any other type of marketing, you’ll need to create content for social media channels. However, social media content is different from other types of content in that it needs to be more visual and interactive.
- Contest and community building – One strategy for building community is through contests, where you’ll award prizes to your followers and create content around the contest. Community building is also helpful, as it can help you to establish yourself as a go-to resource on the channel.
- Posting frequency – When it comes to social media, like any other type of content, consistency is key. Depending on the channel you’re using, you’ll want to post multiple times per day to generate traffic and reach your audience.
A breakdown of the strategies you can use in your SMM strategy
- Posting images – Images are the most commonly shared type of content on social media, so it’s important to include images in your posts. Using images is important because it helps you to stand out from the crowd.
- Use relevant hashtags – A tag is a word or phrase that accompanies a piece of content, and it’s important to use relevant tags. You can also use hashtags to find people with similar interests and try to build your community through this method.
- Interact with your audience – Interaction is the key to creating a deeper relationship with your customers. When you respond to people’s comments on your posts or tweets, you’re showing your customers that you care about them and helping to build trust.
- Engage with social themes – Another important social media strategy is to look at the topics and themes surrounding your industry. Social media channels often have content around these topics, so you can use this to your advantage by sharing content that has a relation to your business.
- Link to your website – When you share content on social media, always make sure to include a link to your website. This helps to cement your brand’s reputation as the go-to source and also allows your readers to find out more about your business.
Which channel should you target first?
This will depend on a variety of factors, such as how much time you have to dedicate to social media, what channel you prefer, and what resources you have available to you. When choosing a channel to focus on, consider the demographics of your audience and the resources they’re using.
After choosing a channel, you’ll want to make sure that you dedicate the time necessary to make it successful. With so many channels available, which one should you target first? Again, this will depend on a number of factors, including how much time you have to devote to social media, what resources you have available to you, and the demographics of your audience. When choosing a channel to focus on, think about the following: audience size, demographics, and engagement rates. Once you’ve chosen a channel, you’ll want to make sure you dedicate the necessary amount of time to make it successful.
Social media marketing is an important tool for brand building and lead generation. By using the right channels and strategies, you can create a social media presence that connects you with your target audience and helps you achieve your business goals. Social media channels are an effective way to reach potential customers and build brand awareness, but like any other form of marketing, it takes time and effort to make it successful.
More about Bernie…
Senior Director, Consumer Media Group at Confluent Health – Growth marketing focus on brand awareness, interest and new patient acquisition to our 44+ partner brands and 530+ locations across the US. Accountable for driving yearly business results supported by our consumer strategy and direct-to-consumer roadmaps. The Media team is responsible for owned and paid media as it relates to performance marketing, campaign management, partnerships, website development & support, search engine optimization, relationship marketing, Yext (Google My Business) support, recruiting, email marketing and supporting our partners at the local level.
Chief Cheese – Strategy & Engagement at B2The7 – Helping brands Reach, Retain & Regain customers with Omni-Channel data-driven strategies and tactics that focus on increasing sales, transactions, comps and customer engagement.
B2The7 Photography – Sharing experiences with photography: nature, landscapes, sunsets, flowers, animals and more.
Helping job seekers & recruiters daily…Founder of Careerbarn.com – Bringing jobseekers and employers together since 2000.